Friday, June 12, 2009

A sticky situation?

My horse is a mess. Okay, not a mess- but he is looking a little rough around the edges right now, but I *think* I know why.

Zippy came home from training in March, after having been double blanketed, in a barn and under lights to maintain his show coat. I brought him home to where I board (I board at the Serenity Equine Rescue ranch, I've been there since before they were a rescue) and had him under a heavy blanket and stalled every night.

He started growing some more fur right away, but I didn't worry- I figured he'd grow a little (he was mighty slick when he came home). But he grew more and more, suddenly when the warm weather hit the poor fellow started sweating like a pig. But not shedding.

Being a worrywart horse mommy I began to rinse him off the days I was out there, and brush him vigorously but alas- no shed. I waited- no shed. The last straw was when I went to clip his whiskers and bridle path and his nose was furry. ARGH! The next day I noticed he began losing patches of fur by his eyes, we have very few flies but every single one seems to set him off.

Where is my slick healthy pony, and who is this fuzzy sweaty monster. My poor, horse!

I thought maybe I would blanket him in the evening to keep him warm 24/7 in hopes he'd blow his coat... but as I read and talked to friends and learned and asked questions I discovered it was lights, not heat that were the issue. He's used to lights and at my barn the horses go in at 5 or so, so he's getting a lot more 'dark' time than usual. Our barn is airy and open ended, but that isn't enough direct light to convince his confused body that we aren't just in a warm spell during winter.

He needed more time in the light, so I moved him out to a paddock with stalls so the only dark he gets is from sunset (about 9 pm) to sunrise (6 or so). I am really hoping this will work.

His new pasture mate Lovey is a rescue, such a sweet girl. Zippy gets along with everyone so he lets her be boss and he loves the gravel area in the paddock where the rocks get warm and he can sun himself and roll.

He's still a bit confused when everyone is led in at night, but as soon as he gets his hay and grain out in/near his outdoor barn, he is happy as a clam. I hope this helps his body re-learn what season it is, because he has been way too miserable with that coat. If he doesn't start shedding soon I may have to body clip him to keep him comfortable. He soaks himself in sweat on hot days.

For now, he's got loads of fresh water, plenty of salt and shade to get into when he wants and a new schedule - let's hope he begins to shed soon!

1 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Huh..how odd he is not shedding..could it be something else going on?
Kac