Monday, June 8, 2009

Fun N Gamers

Yesterday I went out to watch a gaming show at South Seattle Saddle Club in Maple Valley. When I got there they were running poles and then pole relays, then rescue race and so on.

I've been mostly showing, drill, and clompin' around trails so I haven't really hit the arena for speed in a long time. But my Zippy is pretty arena sour, he wants some FUN so I thought I'd check out a gaming show. I was too busy to bring him, so I grabbed my camera and went to watch.

Some events offer a relay division where 2- 4 rider take turns and hand off a baton- you wouldn't believe how fast they are going:








This pony has taught dozens of young riders how to game (this was my favorite pic of the day- he was last in a relay, that’s a soft relay baton he’s holding).





Newbies were totally welcome- riders who chose to trot or lope slowly were cheered on as enthusiastically as gals like these, who were impressive (there were plenty of guys riding as well, I just somehow failed to get decent pics of them!)
































The Rescue Race was amazing to watch, riders gallop down and pick up a second rider then speed across the finish line.

And after hard work, most riders returned to the ring for some well-earned rolling.

It was terrific seeing parents patiently coaching kids (this little gal was FAST!) and families spending time together with their horses.

The next show at SSSC is June 27-28 and I just may take Zippy and just jog/lope a couple events for fun. It’s SO fun to watch, even if you don’t ride and everyone is super helpful and friendly. And the horses LOVE what they do- you can see it on their faces, which is really neat. That’s what it’s all about- fun for all!
Here are links if you want more info:
Patterned Speed Horse Association the group that games- a wonderful group of folks who manages the rules, governs the events and keeps gaming alive in our area
South Seattle Saddle Club a family oriented club who owns the grounds where many events are held but also focuses on family fun, horsemanship, trail rides and other get togethers and friendships
Green River Saddle Club has a very active youth as well as adult group, and a terrific facility
Snoqualmie Valley Riding Club is another great local family friendly org and they offer offers shows, games, trail rides, parades, lessons, and clinics through out the season

3 comments:

Carroll Farm said...

our saddle club does these too (gymkhana's) we have a blast - but it is our off season, once it is hitting 100+ it is too hot to ride that hard or at all during the day!

S&D said...

Hey I know those people!! small world :)Ha ha!!
Here's the list of shows for that particular group. http://patternedspeedhorse.com/Calendar.html
the other local shows are at Green River Saddle Club http://greenriversaddleclub.com/default.aspx and Snoqualmie Valley http://snovalleyridingclub.org/
Hope to see you there
S&D

Cowgirly said...

Thanks so much S&D, I'll add in those links. Now you can't laugh at me when I bring my big slow fella out to trot around the barrels next time. :) ha ha

Carroll Farm- 100 degrees? You need a swimming event. South Seattle Saddle Club backs up to the Cedar River, which is nice for a dip. :)