Friday, June 5, 2009

...more time with the horse for this lotto winner

From the Argus Leader newspaper, "The nation’s newest mega-millionaire was identified today as a rancher from a remote part of the wind-swept western South Dakota plains.

Neal Wanless, 23, who lives outside the small town of Mission won a $232.1 million Powerball jackpot - the ninth-largest Powerball jackpot in the history of the multi-state game, according to a statement this afternoon from the South Dakota Lottery.

Wearing a cowboy hat, jeans and a western shirt, Wanless was introduced to the rest of the world at a ceremony today in Pierre.

“Winning the Powerball is something I’ve always dreamt about but didn’t think would happen,” Wanless said during brief comments about his big win. “I want to thank the Lord for this opportunity and blessing me with this fortune.”

The ticket was sold at an Ampride store in Winner - about 35 miles from Wanless’ home - late last month. Wanless and his family typically stop at the store when they come into Winner to buy feed for the ranch.

The ticket matched all five white balls and the Powerball with Wanless’ incredibly lucky combination of 5-16-6-21-12 and the 7 Powerball. The numbers represent the day and month of family members’ birthdays, state lottery officials said.

Wanless decided to take the jackpot as a one-time cash prize of $118,005,530, according to a statement from South Dakota lottery officials. After federal tax withholding, he will receive a prize payment $88,504,147, not including another $100 he won on the same ticket, the statement said.

In the days since the drawing, there’s been rampant speculation about who may have won the ticket. During his brief remarks at this afternoon’s news conference, Wanless thanked South Dakotans “for your patience in waiting for me to come forward for this award.”

He declined to answer questions from reporters later. It was the second time this year that someone from the Mission area won a huge jackpot."

According to Associated Press, Wanless has some plans for the cash:

He said he recently told his horse, Eleanor, that "It'd be nice if we go for a longer ride than usual on a bigger ranch of our own."

Wanless wants to keep ranching. "I just want to go home and ranch and ride horse and check cows," he said.

This story made me really smile, I think if I won the lotto I'd have a similar wish....after I bought a great big truck!

6 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

I loved that story! I really wanted to win this time too...but I will keep riding till sunset instead of going longer and camping this time!
kac

Carroll Farm said...

What a great story. I too would be that way. I would still work, ride and just enjoy life. Yes a bigger truck would be a neccessety - a nicer horsey trailer too- Oh, and pay off the bills for the rest of my life!

Cowgirly said...

I was kinda shocked at how much he lost to taxes. ugh, don't get me started on the governement and taxes! LOL

Sales CRM for small business said...

I actually like your take on the concern. ซื้อหวยออนไลน์จ่ายจริง

Weight Loss said...

Excellent blog post. and also indeed for an enjoyment and investment objective the real-time gambling enterprise video games are so excellent. เวปหวยruay

Home Inspection Tampa said...

Waiting on even more short เว็บหวย articles.